07 September 2011

MTC-Provo Aug 6


Hola mama!
How are you doing? I hope that you are doing well. My P-day is today, Saturday, but for the remaining few weeks that I am here it will be on Friday, I believe. Just so you know.
The MTC is going pretty well, not much has really happened that I feel like I need to tell you. I have two companions, Hermana Jackson y Hermana Pethebridge. They are both wonderful sisters and I am very blessed. The language skills are going well, and I think that I will be ok down in Peru...I just need to keep studying and praying as much as possible. We taught our first "investigator" last night, in SPANISH!!! It went pretty well and I asked if he would read the book of mormon and pray to know that it is true, and he agreed. We said a prayer and explained how to pray, not using prayers that are already written or anything. He said that he thinks that he understands and he complimented us on our spanish. We were having a somewhat difficult time telling him the differenece between the Bible and the Book of Mormon, explaining that some parts of the bible were lost, but then I bore my testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and that I have felt the Holy Ghost bear witness of it to me, and he seemed to understand everything. Once I began bearing my testimony, the Spirit was very strong, and I had explained what the Spirit is, more or less, so I think that he knew. It was really pretty wonderful. After I bore my testimony, Hermana Pethebridge did so, and then Hermana Jackson did so as well. It was truly a humbling, but very amazing experience.
We are the only three sisters in our zone, which includes 4 other districts including ours, so that is pretty interesting. It is somewhat odd to realize how few sisters are here in comparison with the massive number of elders, but the elders are great. I really do love the elders in my zone, as well as my companions. The elders are so helpful and so kind and loving toward us, and we help each other with our language as well as with life. It's really special that we've been together only 3 days but we feel so close! It is truly a blessing to be here with all of them and to have them as my MTC "family" because they help me learn a lot, especially humility and learning to teach in the spanish language.
I have to say, I am having a difficult time writing this in English...I know I've only been here for 3 days, but I have been speaking spanish for most of those 3 days and I have begun thinking in spanish a lot as well...it's weird, but some words I don't know how to say in English without thinking for a long time. It's pretty cool though...helps me learn more and more each day. I definitely pray for help from Heavenly Father to learn both the gospel and Spanish. One of my goals for this week is to be able to pray in Spanish by Sunday, as well as to memorize the missionary purpose in Spanish (in English it is to "help others come unto Christ and receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end). I've got it down in English, so now the trick is getting it down in Spanish...but I have a lot memorized already, so I'd say it's going pretty well. We also have to have read the missionary handbook (the little white one) by Sunday...or tomorrow I suppose. Tomorrow is fast Sunday, so that is pretty exciting...I keep hearing from people, including from Scott and Dave that "Sunday will come". It is said a lot around here as well. I can't wait to see how it goes, especially being a fast Sunday! :)
My MTC address I will send in another email today because I don't remember it :/ I will send it right after this so you can send me stuff here. All-in-all I am doing very well and everything is going well. The Spirit is definitely here, and even though we are all very tired, the work continues, and the love of Heavenly Father is felt. I pray for you each day and I hope that you can feel His Spirit as well. I love you!
Hermana Shearman

No comments:

Post a Comment